A grandiose experience:
Attending the Siyum HashasBy Sergey Kadinsky
I am often asked about my
personal path towards observance. When did it begin and what circumstances
inspired it? Where do I see myself on the Orthodox spectrum? With ahavat Yisrael in mind, I feel as
comfortable at a Drisha lecture filled with Orthodox feminists as I have at a
Kuf Alef Kislev celebration in the heart of Williamsburg where Satmar hasidim commemorate
their late rebbe’s liberation from a Nazi death camp.
Since moving to Kew Gardens Hills
in January, I have committed to growing in my observance by attending shul
daily and attending a shiur whenever possible. With so many opportunities to
learn Torah in my neighborhood, that there are simply no excuses. In those
early days, my close friend Yitzi Borenstein introduced me to the Talmud Bavli, a page with a paragraph of
Aramaic wrapped in commentaries by Rashi, with the Mesorah, cross-references and notes from the Tosafot generation of medieval commentators. Feeling overwhelmed by
the text, I politely deferred, focusing at the time on my professional and
personal goals.
A couple of months later, tickets
for the Siyum Hashas were being sold at Kehilas Ishei Yisrael, a congregation
of mostly singles and young couples, where my friend Josh Goldsmith encouraged
me. “You don’t need to be a Shas Yid to attend, go and get inspired.” I bought
the ticket not knowing when I would begin formal learning, how much I would be
able to cover and ultimately, the importance of the Oral Law.
I sought a non-judgmental
learning setting and found it this past Shavuot at the home of Brooklyn couple
Rena and Mark Goldstein. With their three sons Sam, Ben and Josh, we studied Tractate Middot overnight in the
basement of Young Israel of Flatbush, returning for lunch to honor Rav Papa and
his ten sons, who always threw a banquet upon the completion of a tractate. I
am the first person in my family in at least four generations to complete a
tractate and the lunch served by the Goldsteins was as much a tribute to Matan Torah as to my historic moment.
In Woodmere, there is a resident
who personifies ahavat Yisrael
through his philanthropy, volunteering and lecturing before thousands of
people. And while Charlie Harary’s upbringing had more observance than mine, he
also wondered about the importance of the Oral Law. Harary spoke to a group of
mostly Russian-speaking baalei teshuva
attendees at the Meadowlands Crowne Plaza ahead of the Siyum.
“Why does it have to be
complicated? I finally got the answer I loved in law school,” Harary said.
Growing up with legal shows such as Law
and Order, Harary did not expect his education to be a thorough review of
case law. “I wanted to see laws, but I was getting case after case, page after
page and reading the testimony from the losing team. So I went to the dean.”
David W. Leebron, his dean at
Columbia Law School, informed Harary that anyone could purchase a book of laws
and quote them, but a law school’s purpose is to apply the statutes to specific
situations. “Like a robot you can try to apply it. You’re paying us to
understand the greatest minds of all time, how cases were lost on a point, how
the law evolved, the principles behind the law and how to bring the law to the
next phase,” Leebron told Harary, who then understood that the Talmud works in
a similar fashion, with centuries of commentaries and specific examples that
tested the application of biblical laws.
Harary said that the vagueness of
many biblical laws was intentional and G-d wants the Jewish people to debate
and struggle over their meaning rather than robotically following them. “Talk
about it and struggle over it. It was lively and real.”
In the roughly 1,400 years
between the codification of the Talmud and the historic 1923 Agudath Israel
convention, the Oral Law was studied by only a few dedicated scholars, without
a set schedule. That was when Rabbi Meir Shapiro, a relatively young member of
the Agudah’s Council of Torah Sages and head of the Yeshiva Chachmei Lublin,
proposed a ritualized study cycle for the Talmud. Daf Yomi- a page a day. In total, 2,711 total in a seven and a half
year cycle. The Chofetz Chaim, the Gerrer Rebbe and Rabbi Chaim Ozer
Grodzinski, who were the leading European Torah scholars at the time,
enthusiastically received the idea.
Surviving the devastation of the
holocaust, each siyum has grown in
attendance and venue, with the Met Life Stadium at the Meadowlands counting a
sold-out crowd of 92,000 that included a wide spectrum of Orthodox Jews
including a women’s section in the top section. All around the Meadowlands,
traffic was choked, even by New Jersey standards. The $1.6 billion arena, still
widely called Giants Stadium or Meadowlands by many attendees, opened in 2010
and in contrast to the traffic jams, has a very spacious feel, with every seat
providing a sense of closeness to the field and an unexpected cleanliness. It
felt very ironic to host a Torah convention in an arena better known for the
Giants and Jets of football, Bon Jovi and Monster Jam.
The event was a mix of
masterfully produced tribute videos and speeches by leading rabbinic figures.
Alongside a tribute to Rabbi Shapiro was one for Jerome Schottenstein, namesake
of the 38-volume Artscroll Talmud Bavli,
launched in 2005 that has enabled readers who do not possess a command of
Aramaic or Hebrew to learn in English.
Not having a command of Yiddish
either, I struggled to comprehend Agudah chair Rabbi Yaakov Perlow, and Rabbi
Aryeh Malkiel Kotler, who spoke in length before concluded the last passages of
Tractate Niddah. As thousands of
attendees dialed the phone number for a live translation of the speeches, I paused
to appreciate the event, knowing that as I grow in my study of Torah law, I can
always find myself on the same page as nearly 100,000 fellow Jews. No matter what type of hat or kippa we wear,
we can always catch up to the Daf and find ourselves in the company of great
scholars and commoners alike, examining insights on the Torah and with enough
perspective, adding in our own two cents.
Switching to English, Rabbi
Perlow used analogies to describe Daf Yomi. “Learning Torah is nutrition for
the Jewish soul. The world does not understand us. When all the empires of the
past have perished, the Torah will not be forgotten,” Rabbi Perlow said. “It is
the secret ingredient, the only ingredient that makes Jewish continuity
possible.”
No comments:
Post a Comment